Covering Unbelief…Badly

by Jason Kehe

March was a busy month for atheists. Two Saturdays ago, thousands of them—estimates ranged from 10,000 to 30,000—congregated at the National Mall for the so-called Reason Rally, billed as “the largest secular event in world history.” This past weekend, the U.S. military hosted its first-ever event for soldiers and others who don't believe in God. Finally, a new book just came out called “Religion for Atheists: A Non-believer's Guide to the Uses of Religion.”

But despite this profusion of news about nonbelievers, the media don't seem to be getting any better at covering it. Journalists remain trite, smart-alecky and even hostile in their reporting, guilty of perpetuating the widespread, and almost always unfounded, distrust of atheism that's long made mockery of this country's championship of religious tolerance.

USA Today's story on the Reason Rally exemplifies the worst of this kind of coverage. It begins: “About 20,000 atheists gathered within shouting distance of the Washington Monument on Saturday for a Reason Rally hell-bent on damning religion and mocking beliefs.”

The writer, it seems, would rather be clever than fair. “Hell-bent on damning religion” is excellent, ironic wordplay, but it does exactly what smart, balanced journalism shouldn't do: characterize an entire group of people in a single, oversimplified way. Even worse was the story's headline: “Richard Dawkins to atheist rally: 'Show contempt' for faith.” Dawkins, one of the world's most outspoken atheists, indeed said that in his speech, and surely meant it. But making it the most visible feature of the story implies that it was a sentiment shared by all, that every nonbeliever in attendance was some kind of angry, militant, combative crusader who would rather spit on his Christian neighbor than engage in meaningful dialogue. Is that fair, or right, or true?

Maybe it was, in this case—but it seems unlikely, when other stories suggested that the rally seemed to lack energy and passion. The point of the day was to gather like-minded thinkers together and develop a sense of community, not attack religion. But that's not a sexy headline.

It seems, sometimes, that the standards of objectivity we expect of most journalism don't always apply to reporting about atheists. Fox News's coverage of the rally consisted of two negative opinion pieces (“Why the Reason Rally is Unreasonable” and “The rally for nothing in particular“). But it wasn't just Fox. Most of the coverage wasn't straight news; it was blog-like reaction pieces, like that USA Today story.

In 2006, the American Sociological Association found that atheists are the most distrusted minority in America. One wonders if our coverage of them in the media—the way in which their activities and beliefs are presented to the general public—is at all to blame.

Jason Kehe is a writer and editor based in Los Angeles. He is currently finishing his B.A. in Print and Digital Journalism at the USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism and is the Online Book Editor at Los Angeles magazine. He has spent the past four years writing and reporting on L.A. arts and culture, with a special focus on theater. His work has appeared in the Los Angeles Times, Jewish Journal, Daily Trojan and Neon Tommy.com, where he served as Senior Arts Editor for two years. Jason also studies neuroscience and film.

This entry was posted in The Scoop. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Covering Unbelief…Badly

1. Alfredswesy says:

wh0cd853406 [url=http://phenergan.us.com/]phenergan[/url] [url=http://advair365.us.com/]read more here[/url] [url=http://amitriptyline25mg.science/]read more[/url]

2. Aaronkeelt says:

wh0cd934398 [url=http://trazodone2017.us.com/]TRAZODONE[/url] [url=http://advair365.us.com/]advair diskus[/url]

3. The real menace in dealing with a five-year-old is that in no time at all you begin to sound like a five-year-old.

4. Quite enlightening….looking ahead to returning.
    arsenal shop sverige

5. Was looking for an entry like When I was first stationed at Richardson, a copy of this book was included in every guest room of the on-base hotel/temporary I devoured that book in a day, and my perspective of being stationed in Alaska completely

6. jacklib says:

It’s awesome to pay a quick visit this web site and reading the views of all colleagues concerning this article, while I am also eager of getting experience.

7. jacklib says:

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem to be running off the screen in Opera. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know. The style and design look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Cheers

8. jacklib says:

I used to be recommended this website via my cousin. I am no longer certain whether or not this submit is written via him as no one else recognise such specified about my difficulty. You are wonderful! Thank you!

9. jacklib says:

Its such as you learn my mind! You appear to understand a lot approximately this, like you wrote the e book in it or something. I believe that you just can do with a few p.c. to power the message house a bit, however instead of that, this is magnificent blog. An excellent read. I will certainly be back.

10. jacklib says:

Wonderful, what a web site it is! This blog provides helpful data to us, keep it up.

11. jacklib says:

My family members all the time say that I am killing my time here at web, except I know I am getting experience all the time by reading thes nice posts.

12. People fear change and having to analyze their own That, and we have a surprisingly large social narrative around weight loss and Denying food is almost like denying love, as well as insulting someone’s lifestyle; it is NOT these things, but we have strong emotional ties to patterns of eating, what they mean, what it means when someone disturbs them, I would say, stay positive and gauge your responses on who is tossing out the There is a knee-jerk social response to people losing weight/getting fit to say "you look fine the way you are" or "yeah I hate ___ part of myself", and these can be more gently From someone who provides you food, a "thanks but I’ve got this under control" is usually But a "That’s personal" or "it’s what I prefer" "you seem very interested in my is there a reason?" can be helpful It’s difficult to resist lashing out; I found the greatest pushback came when I was noticeably thinner, and a friend took me through a I said I’d been off of fastfood for monthes and she knew this ,and she looked guilty and said "I just thought it would be Later she confessed that she was a bit jealous, and wanted to splurge with Beyond that, it was something we used to do to If any of the people criticizing you use eating time as bonding time, I’d suggest trying to find other activities *without food* to bond with them over, if you That goes leaps and bounds towards cutting back on sass,

13. Hi! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok. I’m absolutely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.
    maglia inter bambino

14. jacklib says:

Have you ever considered creating an ebook or guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers would enjoy your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e mail.

15. jacklib says:

My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on numerous websites for about a year and am anxious about switching to another platform. I have heard great things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

16. jacklib says:

Hi there to all, the contents present at this website are in fact remarkable for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.